Friday, May 6, 2011

Words are very important.

Matthew 4: 1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”


4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

============

One word can make a huge difference in how I am perceived. Let me try an experiment on a short sentence. “I love you” or “I hate you.” It’s pretty obvious what the difference is in this simple sentence but it’s not always obvious to me when I goof and put my foot in my mouth.

In other words I make mistakes in the use of my words and so do others. Sometimes my words can escalate into small tiffs and enrage into huge battles of the will. Other times my words can bring peace and ignite the heart.
  • I find it amazing that GOD has shackled HIMSELF to HIS own words written in the Bible that I can read.
  • I find it amazing that words are more powerful than physical needs.
  • I find it amazing that GOD’s words are supreme and there is no judge or jury higher than HIS words.
Fortunately there is a remedy for me and my sometimes awkward use of words.  I can use more words but they must be coupled with action.

  • To show grace, I can make up first but my action needs to include forgetting the incident.
  • To show mercy, I can tell the person the wrong but my action needs to include no punishment or retribution.
  • To show faith in someone, I can say “I believe you” but my actions should be in a manner that follows that belief.
I can say “GOD I believe you will take care of my situation” but act like HE isn’t and I won’t like the result. I can say “LORD help me follow YOUR plan” and if I am open to the changes HE will make then I will be amazed at the wonderful adventure HE will take me on.
  • Are you a man or woman of your words?
  • Do you say stuff and not follow through on your promises?
  • Can you try to understand GOD’s words by reading HIS Bible more often?

No comments:

Post a Comment