Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What direction does my heart point?

John 12: 4 But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, 5 “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.” 6 He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

   7 “Leave her alone,” Jesus replied. “It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. 8 You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me.”

============

Many times I have given to “causes” that I didn’t even know what they were.  I wanted to maintain a relationship so I halfheartedly gave some amount to fulfill my “obligation.” “Well at least it was a tax deduction” I would think to myself.
  • Many times I am so focused on my world that I am not focused on “giving” to someone else.
  • Many times I am so focused on what I can get that I lose track of what I can give.
  • Many times I am so focused on trying to keep what I have that I justify not giving to those in need.
As a consummate provider, I abhor wasteful spending but a flaw in my accounting is that in many cases it does not include GOD’s style of generosity. Giving for a “tax break” protects and shelters my funds which one could argue is wise because I can give more, but my motivation isn’t truly focused on helping.

Judas’ words were actually wise. Mary could have sold the expensive perfume and given it to the poor, BUT GOD said something different.
  • When I pray for wealth my reason for wealth cannot be based on greed.
  • When I pray for wealth my reason for wealth cannot be based on fear.
  • When I pray for wealth my reason for wealth cannot be based on lust.
Mary anointed the most HIGH GOD with a valuable gift, prior to that she cleaned dirt and animal feces from JESUS feet with her hair. She recognized the valuable thing that was right in front of her. Now when I give maybe I should consider who and what I am giving and be excited about who I am serving.
  • Are you so worried about your situation that you cannot give generously?
  • Do you do things for GOD out of love or obligation?
  • Is it lack of faith that keeps the “poor” in poverty?
  • If GOD has blessed you with plenty, what are you doing with it?
  • If your desire for wealth has not been realized, then have you tried to be generous anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment