Tuesday, January 24, 2012

How committed am I?

Acts 14:  19 Then some Jews came from Antioch and Iconium and won the crowd over. They stoned Paul and dragged him outside the city, thinking he was dead. 20 But after the disciples had gathered around him, he got up and went back into the city. The next day he and Barnabas left for Derbe.

The Return to Antioch in Syria

 21 They preached the gospel in that city and won a large number of disciples. Then they returned to Lystra, Iconium and Antioch, 22 strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. “We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,” they said.

============

Being part of “the club” was an aspiration of mine. After a number of golf lessons I was actually accepted but only on the perimeter of “the club.” I overheard a conversation talking about the body parts of specific coworkers. “Should I join in and compromise the values I stood for?” “Sure” I quickly thought to myself. I was finally in “the club” but at what cost?

  • One reason living for GOD is so tough is because I want my sinful way.
  • Another reason living for GOD is so difficult is because I want the things GOD doesn’t want me to have.
  • Yet another reason living for GOD is so hard is because I don’t want to be uncomfortable or mistreated because I am associated with HIM.

“The Club” represented wealth, great food, and incredible vacations at exotic locations. What it did not have in it was faith, purity, and love. These strange things meant I had to actually give up being in “the club” in order to live for GOD.

I actually tried using faith, purity and love in “the club” and noticed I was placed back on the perimeter and finally I was out of “the club.” The more committed to GOD I became the more “the club” opposed me. I wasn’t even trying to convert them or even win them over nor did I judge their actions. After a while “the club” viewed my kindness as weakness and they hurled stones at me.

Thank GOD for rescuing me out of the club because now I can speak about HIM without worrying about what others think of me.

  • Are you trying to be in “the club?”
  • Are you following behind others who are not committed to CHRIST?
  • Are you actively seeking GOD and things are getting harder for you?
  • Won’t you “hang in there” even if life gets more difficult?

No comments:

Post a Comment