Friday, January 27, 2012

Do you consider me worthy?

Acts 16: 13 On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer. We sat down and began to speak to the women who had gathered there. 14 One of those listening was a woman from the city of Thyatira named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth. She was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul’s message.

15 When she and the members of her household were baptized, she invited us to her home. “If you consider me a believer in the Lord,” she said, “come and stay at my house.” And she persuaded us.

============

Construction school taught me a lot as I searched for a profession outside of technology. But while I learned a lot, I was inexperienced and I knew no one would hire me at top dollar. I felt I was not worthy of my wages.

The first job I took paid pennies on the dollar. I truly needed to hone my craft so I could eventually charge top dollar. I had to ask to serve as an apprentice.
  • Many times I think people will want my service just because I offer it.
  • Many times I have the misperception that “these people” should feel privileged because I am serving them.
  • Many times I behave like my service is worthy of many pats on the back but I never ask “am I worthy?”
Lydia showed an approach to serving that I feel I am truly missing. I mean I arrogantly jump in there and start serving without asking “what do you need” or “how do you want me to help?” She asked to be examined to see if she was following the LORD and if so “then” she would serve. Wow, I never thought of that!
  • When serving others I can’t look down on them because GOD thinks highly of them.
  • When serving others I must be confident in my skills without being arrogant in my approach.
  • When serving others I have to ask them “am I worthy” to serve you and accept “no” as the answer sometimes.
False humility is a flaw in my service. I believe “asking” how I can serve will help.
  • Are you arrogant in your service approach?
  • Do you really think you are doing “that” person a favor?
  • Are you worthy to serve?
  • Can you have someone examine your approach to serving others and provide you with constructive feedback?

No comments:

Post a Comment