Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Can my success get in the way?

Romans 16: 17 I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. 18 For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people.

19 Everyone has heard about your obedience, so I rejoice because of you; but I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil.

============

Becoming “polished” was a goal of mine after being turned down for yet another promotion. I attended as many leadership and public speaking classes that I could find but I still got no results.  One of the “successful” people said to me “You see things too personally, loosen up your standards and you will go higher in the company.”

I tried it and he was right. All I had to do was “lower my quality standards” and increase my delivery rate. I then learned how to cover our mistakes by smooth talk and flattering words. I was now polished but at what cost?

  • Human success may cause me to drop my standards with GOD.
  • Human success may cause me to divide instead of unify.
  • Human success may cause me to buy into a cover-up rather than admitting fault.

Success was something I tried to attain at all costs. I mean I would rather leave my family by the wayside and become successful than following what GOD would want for me.  I figured the success would make things better. I quickly found out the smooth talk doesn’t work on my family.

GOD wants me to sincerely serve and not “flatter” people into HIS kingdom. HE wants me to be wise about HIS ways and innocent about evil and corruption. No cover-ups, just full disclosure. HE wants me to be as wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove.

  • Are you trying to be successful at all costs?
  • Have your morals decreased and your standards regarding GOD decreased?
  • Have you bought into “smooth talk” and “flattery” and left GOD to pursue your success?
  • Do you realize it is not too late to turn your face back to GOD’s ways?

No comments:

Post a Comment