Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My strength may be my weakness

1 Corinthians 8:Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol’s temple, won’t that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols?10 

============

Some songs I listen to have catchy beats but their words are not always edifying to GOD. Some shows I watch have content that is not pleasing to GOD. We could argue about the pros and cons of isolating myself from these things but my concern is am I causing someone else to stumble by what I listen to or watch?

  • When I do something that people may abstain from out of knowledge that I am forgiven I may be causing someone to stumble.
  • When eat during a period of other folks fasting I may be causing someone to stumble.
  • When I wave meat in front of a vegetarian I may be causing someone to stumble.

I never realized my actions may affect someone else. I mean aren’t they responsible for their own actions? GOD wants me to be aware that while I am forgiven and have freedom from my sins I should be careful to exercise my freedom around those who do not understand how free I am indeed.

  • GOD wants me to appreciate the way someone is worshipping rather than being critical of their ways.
  • GOD wants me to enjoy the various ways people see what HE is doing in their lives rather than pushing how I want them to see HIM.
  • GOD wants me to be an example because actions speak louder than words.

Remaining calm in the storm, remaining faithful in darkness, remaining strong in the face of weakness is what GOD has called me to do but if my strength gets in the way of someone seeing GOD then I must prayerfully try to reduce myself and increase the person who is stumbling. In other words I have to do everything in my power to help them see GOD and not see me.

  • Are you in the way of someone seeing GOD?
  • Are your rules getting in the way of those who can’t seem to follow rules?
  • Can you allow “that” person to grow in GOD their way and not your way?

No comments:

Post a Comment