Thursday, July 19, 2012

But “they” are wrong!

Galatians 6:Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. 2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

3 If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. 4 Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, 5 for each one should carry their own load.

============

Peering in his eye and listening to his words, I sensed inconsistencies that just didn’t add up. There was a hint of sincerity but the actions just weren’t there. His cry for help fell on deaf ears and I gave up on this so called transformed alcoholic. I mean he brought it on himself right? Hmm… it’s complicated!

  • I spend way too much time assessing if someone needs my help instead of giving help.
  • I spend way too much time thinking how to get out of helping people instead of asking the LORD for more strength.
  • I spend way too much time judging if people “deserve” my help instead of just helping.

Passing the usual homeless person or avoiding the new business owner or speaking harshly to the person who obviously messed up became habits I could easily justify. I mean they brought it on themselves right? Yeah… maybe BUT GOD wants me to view things differently.

  • GOD’s job is to save or punish as HE pleases, my job is to restore.
  • GOD’s job is to take vengeance if necessary, my job is to pray for my enemy.
  • GOD’s job is to penetrate the heart, mind and soul, my job is to take care of those HE delivers to me.

I have to tell the truth, when someone does some low down stuff, “on purpose” I get pretty angry and I’m ready to fly off the handle. GOD wants me to think “full restoration” for that person and HE will handle the rest. In fact the more harshly I want their punishment the harsher HE will be on me “when” I commit the same sin. HE is teaching me to restore others and carry my own load.

  • Has someone obviously messed up?
  • Can you get beyond what they have done and move on the way GOD will have you move on?
  • Do you realize the incident has stolen your peace?
  • Can you restore them so you can get your peace back?
  • Are you on guard not to fall to the same sin?

No comments:

Post a Comment