Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Unity starts here

Philippians 2:1Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,
not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

============

After approaching the head of the department about an idea many people had, I realized we were going to get nowhere. I mean this idea was brilliant yet fell on deaf ears. “We’re going to do it anyway” I said to myself.  I obtained outside resources and funding and we marched ahead with our plans. We built a wonderful tool but it caused a battle that lasted for years.

  • My self-interested desires can cause discord when I look at others as opposition.
  • My selfish ambitions can bring about disagreements when I only seek my way.
  • My self-seeking aspirations can make me look good but in the long run everyone loses.

Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being driven. Goals should be set and the status quo needs to be challenged but it should be done in a harmless way. GOD gives me a better way to success.

  • Instead of getting my way GOD wants me to get “our” way by being like-minded.
  • Instead of fulfilling my ambitions GOD wants me to seek “our” ambitions by being the same in love.
  • Instead of winning as an individual GOD wants me to have one mind which causes me to seek the needs of others.

When I go for the prize I put blinders on and I may accidently step on a few toes. “They’ll get over it when I succeed” I think to myself. BUT GOD says they won’t get over it. HE desires unity as my path rather than winning for myself.

“But that person is an idiot” I retort. GOD sees even “that” person different. HE loves them deeply and wants them to succeed just as much as HE wants me to succeed. GOD wants me to have “one mind” which may mean I have to change my mind in order to unify for the purpose of bringing CHRIST’s love to them.

  • Are you ambitious?
  • Do you seek to get your way?
  • Are you blind to how you are seeking your own way?
  • Can you begin asking others what they need or want in order to gain unity?

No comments:

Post a Comment