Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A big stress reducer

1 Timothy 6:But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.
But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.

Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

===========

“Car” was the answer to the question what would you buy first if you had “x” amount of dollars. It seemed like we had many of these conversations. We would talk about vacations, houses, gadgets, clothes and jewelry. When the raises and bonuses were passed out we immediately went on a shopping spree to get more stuff.

Even when something broke there were no worries because we could just buy a new one. I guess the sleepless nights, political coos and not seeing my family was worth it, right? Hmm…

  • When I think about losing my stuff I get stressed.
  • When I look at bills mounting higher than cash I feel anxious.
  • When I see new stuff has come out and my old stuff is obsolete I get discontent.

What is it about the “stuff” that makes me want it so bad? Is it the commercials that say my life will be better or is it the reaction from the crowd that points at me for having the latest thing? I don’t know what it is but I want it! Or maybe I don’t.

  • GOD wants me to be content so I should take my eyes off of stuff.
  • GOD wants me to have peace so HE says “don’t desire stuff so much.”
  • GOD wants me to remain in the faith so I should guard my mind against the anxieties of the world and allow GOD to handle my finances.

I want to be rich but does GOD want me to be rich? Can I handle wealth or will I become the thing GOD hates the most namely an arrogant, proud, useless soul who cares more about the stuff than people. Being wealthy is not the problem, GOD blesses many. The “desire” to be wealthy is where I open myself to doing “anything it takes” to get there.

  • Are you doing anything it takes to get more money?
  • Are you content?
  • What drives your worries the most?
  • Can you let go of some of your worries and focus on what GOD is doing in your life?
  • Won’t you spend some of the time you normally spend chasing your dream on GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment