Wednesday, January 9, 2013

You mean I have to do what it says?



2 John 1: 9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.

============

“Don’t you want to go to church with us?” was the question I heard many times. My first answer was “No” and my second answer was “heck no!” I just wanted to get some sleep. Church started too early and they were always bringing me down, telling me how bad I was.

I mean don’t they say “you can do what you want to do as long as you’re not hurting anybody?” “Well… if they don’t say that then they should” was my thought. Is that in the Bible?

  • Listening to my own opinion can sometimes put me on the wrong path.
  • Living the way I want to live can sometimes lead me away from GOD.
  • Ignoring what GOD says is only an excuse for me to do more of what I want to do.


Plainly, I didn't want to learn more about GOD because I thought HE had forgiven me anyway and I just wanted to live the way I wanted to live. I mean this is “my” life anyway so “I” can live the way “I” want to, right? Not quite.

  • GOD wants me to love people the way HE loves them.
  • GOD wants me to practice forgiveness the way HE has forgiven me.
  • GOD wants me to tell people about the ultimate sacrifice of JESUS who gave up everything for me.


When I’m living for me I find it very difficult to live for GOD. My eyes get blind to seeing the necessity of learning about GOD. My teaching turns into items that oppose HIM and my focus quickly turns into “getting ahead” versus growing the kingdom. GOD says “take MY yoke upon you and learn of ME. For MY yoke is easy and MY burden is light.”

In other words “Trust in GOD, couple myself with GOD and learn about GOD” and I will be alright.

  • Are you living on sheer instinct?
  • Have you stopped to check with GOD to see if you are still following HIM?
  • Can you turn away from growing “your” kingdom for just a moment to grow “GOD’s” kingdom?
  • Won’t you throw away your suppositions about GOD and “learn” about HIM this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment