Wednesday, March 6, 2013

When my ambition supersedes GOD



Genesis 11: 3 They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

============

“I can run this place” I thought to myself.  I mean if I work hard I will get promoted and they will put me on top. Well, that didn’t happen, but I did notice that when others were promoted, they executed a smear campaign to take the person on top down. Should I stoop to that kind of behavior?

  • Sometimes my ambitions drive me to take over rather than achieve.
  • Sometimes my ambitions lead me to be on top at any cost.
  • Sometimes my ambitions make me say “I can do that better than that person.”


Ambitions can blind me at times.  I’m not saying having goals is a bad thing, but what I am saying is my goals need to include GOD as the direction I am headed.

  • GOD needs to be first in my ambition otherwise I will complain that HE is in the awy.
  • GOD needs to be the center of my attention otherwise I will sometimes think HE is a hindrance.
  • GOD needs to be top of mind in my plans otherwise I will leave HIM out of my plans and go my own way.


Ambition has gotten me in trouble with GOD before.  My plans were not HIS plans, yet HE allowed me to go with my plans. When my plans failed, I came running back to GOD asking for help and sometimes it was too late. GOD wants to be first, not last when it comes to my desires.

  • Are you driven to achieve?
  • Are you trying to do whatever you are doing without GOD?
  • Can you take a moment to add GOD to your plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment