Polishing was always my final step when washing my car. After two hours of brushing, scrubbing and vacuuming, my mechanical beast was road ready. I entered the grounds of my consulting assignment and it was as grimy as it gets. Steel manufacturing and clean cars don’t mix.
As I sat at a stop sign trying to figure out where to go a truck hit my car! When they repaired it the door was never the same. It even rusted at the bottom. My car had lost its luster.
- I have placed cars on a pedestal when I have more concern over it than people.
- I have placed houses on a pedestal when I grow my debt to the point where I can’t help people.
- I have placed gadgets on a pedestal when I need to have the latest and greatest versus helping people.
I don’t really “bow down” to things but I sure do worship them. I know this sounds old but I was so excited to finally have a “bag phone” that I drove around catching glimpses of people as I was on the phone. I guess this stuff provides status and elevates me to the “Ooo Ah” category amongst my peers.
- GOD knows HE can easily destroy my material things so I shouldn’t put too much trust in them.
- GOD knows material items will quickly go to my head and drives lust for other items.
- GOD knows the more items I get the less I will communicate with HIM.
Please don’t get me wrong, it’s okay to own things but my problem is sometimes the things own me. I fight hard to keep them and lay awake trying to protect them. GOD wants this kind of attention. HE would love a deep conversation or two hours of special detailing. HE enjoys times of just talking instead of request after request. HE wants a relationship!
- Do you have a relationship with GOD?
- Are you worried about your stuff?
- Can GOD take away your stuff and you would be alright with it?
- Can you take care of your stuff because GOD gave it to you instead of the status you get?
- Will you use your stuff for GOD’s purpose?