Friday, May 31, 2013

What thing do I put before GOD?

Exodus 20: 4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

============

Polishing was always my final step when washing my car.  After two hours of brushing, scrubbing and vacuuming, my mechanical beast was road ready. I entered the grounds of my consulting assignment and it was as grimy as it gets. Steel manufacturing and clean cars don’t mix.

As I sat at a stop sign trying to figure out where to go a truck hit my car! When they repaired it the door was never the same. It even rusted at the bottom. My car had lost its luster.

  • I have placed cars on a pedestal when I have more concern over it than people.
  • I have placed houses on a pedestal when I grow my debt to the point where I can’t help people.
  • I have placed gadgets on a pedestal when I need to have the latest and greatest versus helping people.


I don’t really “bow down” to things but I sure do worship them.  I know this sounds old but I was so excited to finally have a “bag phone” that I drove around catching glimpses of people as I was on the phone. I guess this stuff provides status and elevates me to the “Ooo Ah” category amongst my peers.

  • GOD knows HE can easily destroy my material things so I shouldn’t put too much trust in them.
  • GOD knows material items will quickly go to my head and drives lust for other items.
  • GOD knows the more items I get the less I will communicate with HIM.


Please don’t get me wrong, it’s okay to own things but my problem is sometimes the things own me.  I fight hard to keep them and lay awake trying to protect them.  GOD wants this kind of attention.  HE would love a deep conversation or two hours of special detailing. HE enjoys times of just talking instead of request after request. HE wants a relationship!

  • Do you have a relationship with GOD?
  • Are you worried about your stuff?
  • Can GOD take away your stuff and you would be alright with it?
  • Can you take care of your stuff because GOD gave it to you instead of the status you get?
  • Will you use your stuff for GOD’s purpose?


No comments:

Post a Comment