Friday, May 31, 2013

What thing do I put before GOD?

Exodus 20:“You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

============

Polishing was always my final step when washing my car.  After two hours of brushing, scrubbing and vacuuming, my mechanical beast was road ready. I entered the grounds of my consulting assignment and it was as grimy as it gets. Steel manufacturing and clean cars don’t mix.

As I sat at a stop sign trying to figure out where to go a truck hit my car! When they repaired it the door was never the same. It even rusted at the bottom. My car had lost its luster.

  • I have placed cars on a pedestal when I have more concern over it than people.
  • I have placed houses on a pedestal when I grow my debt to the point where I can’t help people.
  • I have placed gadgets on a pedestal when I need to have the latest and greatest versus helping people.


I don’t really “bow down” to things but I sure do worship them.  I know this sounds old but I was so excited to finally have a “bag phone” that I drove around catching glimpses of people as I was on the phone. I guess this stuff provides status and elevates me to the “Ooo Ah” category amongst my peers.

  • GOD knows HE can easily destroy my material things so I shouldn’t put too much trust in them.
  • GOD knows material items will quickly go to my head and drives lust for other items.
  • GOD knows the more items I get the less I will communicate with HIM.


Please don’t get me wrong, it’s okay to own things but my problem is sometimes the things own me.  I fight hard to keep them and lay awake trying to protect them.  GOD wants this kind of attention.  HE would love a deep conversation or two hours of special detailing. HE enjoys times of just talking instead of request after request. HE wants a relationship!

  • Do you have a relationship with GOD?
  • Are you worried about your stuff?
  • Can GOD take away your stuff and you would be alright with it?
  • Can you take care of your stuff because GOD gave it to you instead of the status you get?
  • Will you use your stuff for GOD’s purpose?


No comments:

Post a Comment