Thursday, February 13, 2014

Do I really want what I want?

1 Samuel 8:So all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah. They said to him, “You are old, and your sons do not follow your ways; now appoint a king to lead us, such as all the other nations have.”

But when they said, “Give us a king to lead us,” this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the Lord. And the Lord told him: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king. 

============

With my first lottery ticket in hand, I waited anxiously to see the results. I prayed “Please, please, PLEASE let me win the lottery!” It was quite a memorable experience because each of my numbers was off by one or two.

Years later, on a mission’s trip to another country, I sat worried over all of the money I had earned. I was quite wealthy so my thoughts of worked piled up. The man I sat across from only had a hut, some cows and a lemon tree. He was at peace and I was discontented. I got what I prayed for.

  • Sometimes I pray for something that is not good for me.
  • Sometimes I want my way instead of wanting what GOD wants for me.
  • Sometimes I beg GOD to allow me to touch the fire.


Looking back on my tears of desire I realize some of my disappointments were really silly and some were against GOD’s ways. I pouted when I couldn’t fulfill my lustful desires and I pouted when others seemed to be able to. Little did I know that GOD was protecting me.

  • GOD wants me to look at HIM as my provider.
  • GOD wants me to see HIS treasure as something to seek after.
  • GOD wants me to desire HIM and HIS ways over any material gain I could ever receive on this planet.


The Israelites sought power, fame and wealth. Deep down I wanted these as well, but when I received them I found the top of the mountain I dreamt of didn’t have green lush pastures rather dead grass filled with fear, anxiety and lack of compassion. I had to become cold, callous and driven to remain at the top.

GOD wants me to listen to HIM and be compassionate to all, dropping my prejudices toward groups and providing GOD’s love where needed.

  • Are you asking for something GOD doesn’t want you to have?
  • Do you think you would be better off spiritually if you received the thing you ask for?
  • Won’t you let go of “that” thing and let GOD provide for you?
  • Can you operate under the assumption that if GOD wants you to have something, nothing can stop you from getting it?


No comments:

Post a Comment