2 Samuel 10: 12 Be strong, and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight.”
As I gobbled down my lunch, I set up my Backgammon game waiting for my next victim. Yes I said Backgammon and we had classes in caves too. A friend of mine brought an antagonistic individual to the table. He said to me “What would you say if I said there is no GOD?”
The only reason I remember this so vividly is because this was the first time anyone had challenged my beliefs. I mean up to this point I went to church and came home like everyone else. No one had ever asked me to explain my beliefs. I was scared, but words came out of my mouth. “I just know” was the beginning of the conversation that took the rest of the period.
- When I face something difficult, I get scared.
- When I face antagonistic situations I get frightened.
- When I face what seems to be an army of issues, I get nervous.
Fear consumes me, then it makes me want to run and hide in the corner. At that point nothing gets done. I then remember the fear and get scared to try anything that is challenging. BUT GOD wants something different of me.
- GOD wants me to be strong when times are difficult.
- GOD wants me to fight when I face a foe of HIS.
- GOD wants me to realize the battle is won because HE is the one who fights for me.
When entering any battle I must equip myself with the knowledge that the outcome belongs to GOD. This makes me approach the battle differently. I see an opponent as an ally rather than someone who needs to be conquered or removed to get my way. This is GOD’s child and compassion coupled with strength is how I need to go into the battle.
I can’t win unless we all win. I must be brave enough to bring others along, when I can.
- Are you facing fear?
- Are you scared of something new?
- Can you give your fear over to GOD?
- Won’t you BE STRONG because GOD is with you?