Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Should I celebrate when my enemies fall?


2 Samuel 1: 23 Saul and Jonathan—
    in life they were loved and admired,
    and in death they were not parted.
They were swifter than eagles,
    they were stronger than lions.
24 “Daughters of Israel,
    weep for Saul,
who clothed you in scarlet and finery,
    who adorned your garments with ornaments of gold.

============

It was a very snide conversation that I remember vividly. A woman tried to take over our system by selling hers to individual franchisees. She had convinced a group that they would lose money if they went with the corporate system instead of hers. I rallied the senior executives and we put a plan together to squelch the fire of miscommunication.

The plan worked and we were able to deploy the corporate system without flaw. I rejoiced because she was pretty smug in her approach. A thought popped in my head to call her and ask her how she felt now that she lost!

  • In the past I felt great when others fell.
  • In the past I rejoiced when the rich and powerful got what was coming to them.
  • In the past I made enemies and rejoiced taking them down.


Saul wanted to kill David with all of his heart. The LORD departed Saul and he had a rage of jealousy that left him focused on a futile vendetta. When the word came to David that Saul and Jonathan died, he wept bitterly. He wept for his enemy.

  • GOD truly wants me to desire that everyone gets to know HIS SON.
  • GOD wants me to desire the best for everyone in my prayers, actions and discussions.
  • GOD wants me to desire grace, mercy and love for everyone including those who intentionally have harmed me in the past.


Quite honestly, it is difficult to climb up to the place where I can really desire something better for my enemies. BUT GOD says HE will reward me when I pray for them to succeed in getting to know HIS SON. Each time I do this, I actually have won the battle and the war.

  • Do you have someone who is acting like your enemy right now?
  • Do you sneer and scoff at a leader or someone in power?
  • Can you stop feeling sorry for yourself and ask GOD to forgive you and that person?
  • Won’t you pray about “that” person hoping they will know CHRIST who is responsible for all forgiveness? 


No comments:

Post a Comment