Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Treating people with respect

1 Samuel 25:Ask your own servants and they will tell you. Therefore be favorable toward my men, since we come at a festive time. Please give your servants and your son David whatever you can find for them.’”

-------

10 Nabal answered David’s servants, “Who is this David? Who is this son of Jesse? Many servants are breaking away from their masters these days. 11 Why should I take my bread and water, and the meat I have slaughtered for my shearers, and give it to men coming from who knows where?”

-------

18 Abigail acted quickly. She took two hundred loaves of bread, two skins of wine, five dressed sheep, five seahs of roasted grain, a hundred cakes of raisins and two hundred cakes of pressed figs, and loaded them on donkeys. 19 Then she told her servants, “Go on ahead; I’ll follow you.” But she did not tell her husband Nabal.

-------

David said to Abigail, “Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, who has sent you today to meet me. 33 May you be blessed for your good judgment and for keeping me from bloodshed this day and from avenging myself with my own hands. 34 Otherwise, as surely as the Lord, the God of Israel, lives, who has kept me from harming you, if you had not come quickly to meet me, not one male belonging to Nabal would have been left alive by daybreak.”

============

“Excuse me” were the soft spoken words uttered to me.  I acknowledged the person but I couldn’t fulfill their request because I was extremely busy.  I then forgot their request, but I’m sure he asked someone else. Besides, “who was this guy anyway?”  He was dressed in a lumberjack style shirt and jeans!

As the meeting commenced, the Senior Vice President introduced some special people that was in our audience.  Wouldn’t you know, that lumberjack shirt guy was “the special person and one of the wealthiest individuals in the room?

  • My immediate assumptions about people can cause me to think the wrong thing.
  • My filtered impression about a person may cause me to think the wrong thing.
  • My prejudiced view of a person may cause me to think the wrong thing.


When I see a person from the wrong perspective, I may not give them the respect they deserve. This behavior may have dire consequences that I may not be aware of.

  • GOD wants me to treat everyone with the same level of high respect in order to draw them to HIM.
  • GOD wants me to treat everyone with the same level of respect because HE sees people equally.
  • GOD wants me to treat everyone with the same level of admiration in order for me to see what HE sees in them.


GOD has a purpose for each person and wants me to respect the beauty HE made inside of them.

  • Are you treating someone wrong?
  • Do you have a negative view of a person?
  • Can you start treating that person with respect?


No comments:

Post a Comment