Monday, May 12, 2014

GOD’s Leadership Style


1 Kings 12:They replied, “If today you will be a servant to these people and serve them and give them a favorable answer, they will always be your servants.”

But Rehoboam rejected the advice the elders gave him and consulted the young men who had grown up with him and were serving him. He asked them, “What is your advice? How should we answer these people who say to me, ‘Lighten the yoke your father put on us’?”

10 The young men who had grown up with him replied, “These people have said to you, ‘Your father put a heavy yoke on us, but make our yoke lighter.’ Now tell them, ‘My little finger is thicker than my father’s waist. 11 My father laid on you a heavy yoke; I will make it even heavier. My father scourged you with whips; I will scourge you with scorpions.’”

============

Gruff, pushy and cocky were my observations of those who made it to the top. It seemed as if the mental bullies made it, while the faint at heart could only sit back and be destroyed. Something had to be done.  I took a deep breath and slathered a thin layer of toughness on the outer shell of my personality. It worked!

I then began to toughen up my shell to face those who were arrogant and annoying! One day I realized I was on my way to becoming them in order to fight them.

  • Just because I have the title, doesn’t make me a leader.
  • Just because I am in charge, doesn’t mean I can force people to do my bidding.
  • Just because I am the designated leader, doesn’t make my leadership style better.


My tough exterior was slightly misguided.  I thought I had to become tough “like” the bullies instead of recognizing where true power comes from.

  • GOD wants me to be as wise as a serpent but harmless as a dove.
  • GOD wants me to recognize true power as being the person who knows when “not” to use it.
  • GOD wants me to rely on HIS power and let HIM fight the battles instead of thinking I have to do all of the fighting.


The toughness GOD wants me to have is dexterity to stay with HIM when I think I should handle the situation on my own. GOD wants me to remain strong in faith rather than relying on what I can see, touch or feel. HE wants me to follow HIS ways which are the ways of a servant. This sounds counterproductive, but GOD’s ways always yield fruit.

  • Are you the faint at heart?
  • Do you lack faith?
  • Can you toughen up your faith in GOD which will give you a different kind of toughness?
  • Can you stop trying to be like people and focus on your growth in GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment