Thursday, May 1, 2014

My controversial “building” view


1 Kings 6: 11 The word of the Lord came to Solomon: 12 “As for this temple you are building, if you follow my decrees, observe my laws and keep all my commands and obey them, I will fulfill through you the promise I gave to David your father.13 And I will live among the Israelites and will not abandon my people Israel.”

============

I recently visited the church of my youth.  The pastor was still the pastor and the building was still the same. By the way, I am a million and a half years old. What I remember is there were two envelopes in pockets in the pew, one for tithing and one for the “building fund.”

I traveled to many churches and many have had this “building fund” or “building expansion project”. Then one day, as I was sitting on a bus in another country, I saw people dressed in white robes sitting in a field. I asked the guide “who are they?” “They are a building-less church who meets out in a field to worship GOD” he responded.  Ever since then I wonder what a building fund is.

  • GOD wants us to make sure we gather together to pray for one another.
  • GOD wants us to make public declarations of our allegiance to HIM.
  • GOD wants us to make it easier for those who cannot do for themselves.


There are many other reasons to gather together and we need buildings to avoid being interrupted from the elements. I agree with having a building, but when the building is the only focus I have a problem with it.

  • GOD says “Follow my decrees”, which doesn’t need a building rather it needs my temple.
  • GOD says “Observe MY laws”, which doesn’t need a building rather it requires my mind.
  • GOD says “Keep all MY commandments and obey them”, which doesn’t need a building rather it needs my determination to follow HIM.


GOD wants me. HE said “What building can contain ME?” HE does however want me to gather regularly with groups of people to pray, rejoice and help others. HE also wants me to receive help when I run out of faith and feel low. My fight is no longer with buildings. My job is to connect with those HE sends to me.

  • Are you alone?
  • Do you think can walk life by yourself?
  • Should you gather together with others for prayer and confession?
  • Won’t you focus on GOD rather than on buildings?


No comments:

Post a Comment