Friday, January 9, 2015

Comfort Versus Calamity


Job 13: 15 Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him;
    I will surely defend my ways to his face.
16 Indeed, this will turn out for my deliverance,
    for no godless person would dare come before him!

============

Shivering got on my nerves. The apartment we lived in was drafty and ice formed on the windows inside. I couldn’t stand to be cold for a moment so I went to the hardware store and purchased some plastic to tape around the sill. Now my apartment was toasty.

Later that week I went to church and realized I could make the church building comfortable too. I mean we needed to have a place of warmth and we were doing this for GOD right? Hmm.

  • Sometimes my church efforts are for my comfort rather than HIS purpose.
  • Sometimes my church effort is focused on belonging rather than serving.
  • Sometimes my church efforts are for aesthetics rather than from the heart.


I’m not saying the church building had to be a shack but did I have to build a club? Soon my entire focus was on making the “members” comfortable. My prayers were on raising money for the building and my outreach efforts soon turned into contractor bids. Then it happened.

The church fell apart because of misappropriation of funds and we faced calamity anyway. This calamity caught me off guard. I mean weren’t we serving GOD? Looking back I can see some things I could have done differently.

  • When it comes to GOD I must give in to HIS decisions whether they have calamity or comfort in them.
  • When it comes to GOD I must seek HIS kingdom first before I seek my comfort.
  • When it comes to GOD I must ask HIM for permission and be willing to accept “No” or “Wait” for an answer.


Of course I need to pray expectantly, that’s where faith comes in. But I must also pray knowing I don’t have the full picture and GOD has the right to make changes as HE sees fit. This could mean a mix of calamity with comfort. GOD is supreme and I praise HIM for it.

  • Are you fighting for your comfort?
  • Do you think you deserve only comfort?
  • Could you accept the calling of calamity if GOD allowed it in your life?
  • Will you praise GOD through any problem you are facing right now?


No comments:

Post a Comment