Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Learning to Follow

Psalm 15: 1 Lord, who may dwell in your sacred tent?
    Who may live on your holy mountain?
2 The one whose walk is blameless,
    who does what is righteous,
    who speaks the truth from their heart;
3 whose tongue utters no slander,
    who does no wrong to a neighbor,
    and casts no slur on others;
4 who despises a vile person
    but honors those who fear the Lord;
who keeps an oath even when it hurts,
    and does not change their mind;
5 who lends money to the poor without interest;
    who does not accept a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things
    will never be shaken.

============

Grousing at the horrid conditions of not having a full breakfast at meetings was something I couldn’t get into. “We should be thankful for what we had” was my thought. Then the company cut back on randomly giving away tee shirts. “Come on! This place can afford a lousy tee shirt, I groused!”
  • Complaining blinds me more than I know.
  • Complaining hardens my heart to hearing.
  • Complaining leads to slander that is very hard to reverse.

I never knew that the seed of complaining grows an ugly vine within me. I mean even the smallest complaint can grow a tree of superiority, arrogance and a deserving attitude that does not draw people to GOD. How can I counter my complaining attitude?
  • GOD says to me “Utter no slander” even when the crowd is doing it, especially about leaders.
  • GOD says to me “Do no wrong to your neighbor” even when the neighbor is crazy.
  • GOD says to me “Cast no slur on others” especially racial, sexual, age or class.
  • GOD says to me “Despise a vile person” which is difficult when I too am vile so I must give the person to GOD.
  • GOD says to me “Honor those who fear ME, who trust ME, who keeps oaths when it hurts, who does not change their mind, who lends money to the poor without interest, who does not accept bribes” which means I must recognize these traits in others. 

Getting rid of my complaining seeds is not easy, but the more I can spit the poison out of my mouth the more GOD replaces my seeds with fruit.
  • Are you a complainer?
  • Have you spread slander about a person who is not in the room with you?
  • Can you reduce your poisonous words and replace them with praise?
  • Will you learn to follow JESUS’ ways and be gentle, even to your enemies?


No comments:

Post a Comment