Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Better Them than Me


Proverbs 4: 23 Above all else, guard your heart,
    for everything you do flows from it.
24 Keep your mouth free of perversity;
    keep corrupt talk far from your lips.

============

Fitting in was my desire, no matter what group. The guys in the locker room were always talking about their latest “conquest” and laughed at my lack of “adventure.” They described girls by their body parts and soon I was part of their joke. Not willing to stand up for my beliefs, I caved and joined in with the group. It was easier to have them ogle the girls than take the ridicule.

  • There have been times when my faith got challenged and I lost.
  • There have been opportunities for me to stand up for what is right and I failed.
  • There have been situations where my character could have shined and I chose the crowd instead.


Peer pressure was not the dynamite rather it was only the fuse. In other words the lust was already there. All it took was a few words to ignite the flame that exploded almost immediately. GOD knew and wanted me to change.

  • GOD wants me to guard my heart for HE knows I will fall deeply into sin if I don’t.
  • GOD wants me to know everything flows from my heart so I need to place HIM in it rather than things that do not please HIM.
  • GOD wants me to keep corrupt talk from my lips which is tied to my heart.


It took some of life’s beatings to recognize that it is not worth following the crowd. One sinful joke, leads to many which in turn degrades my character. Soon I end up in a place that I wonder how I got there. BUT GOD is gracious! HE forgave me and made a way to escape. HE blessed me with HIS protection and guided me through the darkness. GOD is my guide.

  • Are you trying to fit in?
  • What perverse words are you using?
  • Can you ask GOD to change your heart so you can change your words?
  • Will you join GOD in expanding HIS kingdom rather than fulfilling your lust or complaint or slander or hatred?


No comments:

Post a Comment