Isaiah 23: 18 Yet her profit and her earnings will be set apart for the Lord; they will not be stored up or hoarded. Her profits will go to those who live before the Lord, for abundant food and fine clothes.
Stock option discussions were plentiful. Chatter about the latest gadget or the latest house type came into view at every turn. “What type of phone do you have” was the question of the month as it seemed like we changed that often. I still have a box of old phones.
- There were times when I look at materialistic things as a show of success.
- There were times when I thought the latest and greatest was a show of success.
- There were times when I met “the right people” as a show of success.
When I rubbed elbows with these people I soon realized I was out of my league, but I was on my way. I mean, if I could only get that wine cellar and the humidor, even though I don’t drink or smoke, then things will be fine. The people who are connected would “keep” me in their circle. BUT GOD showed me different.
- GOD wants me to focus on people who HE send me.
- GOD wants me to give instead of store.
- GOD wants me to look for treasure in heaven rather than throwing away the next to latest phone.
Having material things is not bad; the problem comes when they have me. I mean when I cannot do without “that” thing or I depend on a bank account for my security or self-esteem then I have faltered. GOD wants me to focus my attention on pleasing HIM rather than running after those who could care less about HIM. GOD wants my generosity.
- Are you chasing the dream?
- Are you trying to make it big?
- Do you worry about money a lot?
- Can you put your trust in GOD long enough to quiet down and listen to HIM?
- Will you start storing up treasure in heaven today?