Monday, January 11, 2016

Foolish Pride

Isaiah 10: 12 When the Lord has finished all his work against Mount Zion and Jerusalem, he will say, “I will punish the king of Assyria for the willful pride of his heart and the haughty look in his eyes. 13 For he says:
“‘By the strength of my hand I have done this,
    and by my wisdom, because I have understanding.
I removed the boundaries of nations,
    I plundered their treasures;
    like a mighty one I subdued their kings.


============

After praying a few times, I finally got a promotion. This felt great as it seemed like my career was pretty stagnant at the time. About a year after my promotion, it was time for another evaluation. I had worked pretty hard and felt I needed another promotion. I received an average on my evaluation and was passed up for the promotion. I was clearly upset in the meeting. “Look at all the things ’I’ have done.” I exclaimed.

  • Sometimes I think more highly of myself.
  • Sometimes I think I am the one with the abilities.
  • Sometimes I think people owe me things.


It is amazing at what I became proud of. I was proud of my work. I was proud of my bank account and I was proud of my abilities. I made sure the people around me knew I was the person who should be chosen. BUT GOD wanted me to act different.

  • GOD said to me “Humble yourself and I will be your guide.”
  • GOD said to me “Turn from your wicked ways and watch ME do a marvelous work in you.”
  • GOD said to me “Do not think more highly of yourself.”


Pride is hard to see because my ego blinds. I mean, it is hard to see GOD when I think “I” did things on my own. After a while I think GOD did not put me in the position, rather it had to be “my” own abilities. GOD wants me to credit HIM with everything and accept where HE raises me up or lowers me to. HE wants me to point at HIM for every accomplishment and praise HIM for where HE places me.

  • Do you have a problem with your life?
  • Do you think you “deserve” better?
  • Do you need people to admit things to you?
  • Can you examine yourself to see if you have pride and ask GOD to remove it?



No comments:

Post a Comment