Friday, November 4, 2016

Running on Fumes

Jonah 2: From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the Lord his God. He said:
“In my distress I called to the Lord,
    and he answered me.
From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help,
    and you listened to my cry.

-------

“When my life was ebbing away,
    I remembered you, Lord,
and my prayer rose to you,
    to your holy temple.
“Those who cling to worthless idols
    turn away from God’s love for them.
But I, with shouts of grateful praise,
    will sacrifice to you.
What I have vowed I will make good.
    I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord.’”

============

Nervously I sat and stared at the gas gauge. The low gas indicator light had come on miles back and I saw the most horrifying sign that read “Next Stop 27 Miles.” It was very late at night and the road was dark and unfamiliar. I quieted down the radio but it was still too noisy and I finally had to turn it off. “LORD please help!” I cried.

  • Sometimes in life I am running on fumes.
  • Sometimes in life I do not have any answers, only questions.
  • Sometimes in life I have nowhere to turn but to GOD.


Jonah spent three days in the fish. I’m sure he cried out on the first day, ALL DAY, but no response. When I went twenty six miles I felt relieved because even if the car stopped I could walk the extra mile. I made it to the gas station and to my dismay it was closed for the night. The next sign read “Next Stop 15 Miles.” I cried out again, this time with more fervor “LORD HELP!”

  • GOD always helps me but sometimes not in the timing I want.
  • GOD always rescues me but sometimes not in the way I want.
  • GOD always watches over me but sometimes not in the way or time that I would feel totally in control.


Jonah was probably at the point of giving up. He had no sense of time or days and was extremely uncomfortable. He just knew he was going to die, but for some reason had not. HE calmed down in the middle of the turmoil and prayed.

I got back on the road and made it the additional fifteen miles, praying all the way! Gas poured into the tank and I noticed I was truly on empty. I pumped in the max capacity and about a gallon more! All I could do was thank GOD for saving me. My heart was still racing!

  • Are you running on fumes?
  • Have your solutions to life failed and now you feel you have nowhere to turn?
  • Can you calmly but firmly cry out to GOD even if you have before?
  • Will you “praise” HIM even in the middle of your trouble?


No comments:

Post a Comment