Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Well Placed Complaint


Habakkuk 1: How long, Lord, must I call for help,
    but you do not listen?
Or cry out to you, “Violence!”
    but you do not save?

-------

13 Your eyes are too pure to look on evil;
    you cannot tolerate wrongdoing.
Why then do you tolerate the treacherous?
    Why are you silent while the wicked
    swallow up those more righteous than themselves?

============

“There’s nothing on TV!” I blurted out. I pay for hundreds of channels and you would think they would have just one I could watch! “My phone has no signal!” I exclaimed. I pay for a fast network and you would think I should be able to get coverage here on the moon! “Traffic is moving too slow because of that camper!” I said out loud. I wonder what I can do.

  • Sometimes I complain about comfort.
  • Sometimes I grumble about luxury items.
  • Sometimes I grouse about things that are out of my control.


Complaining takes practice and after a while I had a PhD in complain-ology! It’s too cold, or it’s too rainy were whining statements I protested as I passed a homeless person without seeing them. “Man, my tire is low light is on again!” are words I have said while driving out of communities where people are murdered, overlooked and undignified. Should I complain?

  • GOD says to me “Stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves.”
  • GOD says to me “Pray for those who have needs.”
  • GOD says to me “Serve those who are poor and outcast and I will serve you far more than you know.”


Habakkuk complained about the mistreatment of his friends, family and community. He wasn’t asking for more riches rather some relief from the oppressors. He knew GOD was the only answer to truly difficult situations. GOD wants me to focus on some of these problems as well. HE wants me to have compassion when necessary.

Instead of complaining about traffic, HE wants me to pray for those who are involved in the accident. Rather than complaining about luxury TV, HE wants me to have a heart of thanksgiving that I even have TV and maybe open up my home to someone who doesn’t. GOD does not mind a complaint as long as the other side points to growing HIS kingdom.

  • What are you complaining about right now?
  • Are you complaining about your comfort?
  • Can you reduce your complaints a little and point your frustrated words towards injustice?
  • Will you genuinely pray for those you have overlooked today?




No comments:

Post a Comment