Friday, December 9, 2016

Garments of the Soul

Zechariah 3: Now Joshua was dressed in filthy clothes as he stood before the angel. The angel said to those who were standing before him, “Take off his filthy clothes.”

Then he said to Joshua, “See, I have taken away your sin, and I will put fine garments on you.”

============

Greeted with smiling faces I proceeded into the church. Songs played, people clapped but I felt rotten inside. The preacher preached on a bunch of stuff I was doing wrong then we all got up sang again and walked out the door with the same smiling faces. 

  • There have been times when my outside did not match my inside.
  • There have been times when smiling faces was not enough to crack open my tough exterior.
  • There have been times when my sin was hidden and I wore filthy clothes on my soul.


After reading this passage I could easily think that I would have to clean myself up in order to be loved by GOD. The problem with that kind of thinking is I can never “clean” myself up. The more I try the filthier my soul garments get. I drop off an obvious sin to society and trade it in for a larger sin to GOD, namely piety. What am I to do?

  • GOD says to me “In the middle of your sin, I saved you.”
  • GOD says to me “I saw you before the foundations of the world.”
  • GOD says to me “I have taken away your sin.”


I had to reread the passage a few times in order to see the timing. GOD says “Take off his filthy clothes”. Then I noticed HE says “See, I have taken away your sin” meaning HE died in my place and the act of cleansing was complete. All I have to do is believe in the ONE who cleansed me and then my filthy garments will be taken off for me.

Cleansing is not my job. I cannot clean myself up by trading sin. I need GOD in my life through JESUS who died and was raised from the dead. Now I can cry in church and smile. I can bring in my anger and leave with joy. My filthy garments of the soul can be replaced with GOD’s garments!

  • Are you hiding something?
  • Does the thing you are hiding eat away at you?
  • Are you lying to yourself in order to feel more comfortable?
  • Can you stop hiding your sins and allow GOD to take off your filthy soul garments by confessing to HIM?


No comments:

Post a Comment