Zechariah 3: 3 Now Joshua was dressed in filthy clothes as he stood before the angel. 4 The angel said to those who were standing before him, “Take off his filthy clothes.”
Then he said to Joshua, “See, I have taken away your sin, and I will put fine garments on you.”
Greeted with smiling faces I proceeded into the church. Songs played, people clapped but I felt rotten inside. The preacher preached on a bunch of stuff I was doing wrong then we all got up sang again and walked out the door with the same smiling faces.
- There have been times when my outside did not match my inside.
- There have been times when smiling faces was not enough to crack open my tough exterior.
- There have been times when my sin was hidden and I wore filthy clothes on my soul.
After reading this passage I could easily think that I would have to clean myself up in order to be loved by GOD. The problem with that kind of thinking is I can never “clean” myself up. The more I try the filthier my soul garments get. I drop off an obvious sin to society and trade it in for a larger sin to GOD, namely piety. What am I to do?
- GOD says to me “In the middle of your sin, I saved you.”
- GOD says to me “I saw you before the foundations of the world.”
- GOD says to me “I have taken away your sin.”
I had to reread the passage a few times in order to see the timing. GOD says “Take off his filthy clothes”. Then I noticed HE says “See, I have taken away your sin” meaning HE died in my place and the act of cleansing was complete. All I have to do is believe in the ONE who cleansed me and then my filthy garments will be taken off for me.
Cleansing is not my job. I cannot clean myself up by trading sin. I need GOD in my life through JESUS who died and was raised from the dead. Now I can cry in church and smile. I can bring in my anger and leave with joy. My filthy garments of the soul can be replaced with GOD’s garments!
- Are you hiding something?
- Does the thing you are hiding eat away at you?
- Are you lying to yourself in order to feel more comfortable?
- Can you stop hiding your sins and allow GOD to take off your filthy soul garments by confessing to HIM?