Zechariah 4: 6 So he said to me, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty.
After looking at the clock when I got home, I noticed thirty six hours had passed from the time I had last got out of bed. We were trying to land an account and I stayed overnight to work on the proposal.
- There were times I worked extremely hard to make things work.
- There were times I worked to exhaustion only to find dead ends.
- There were times I worked my fingers to the bone in order to get what “I” wanted.
Avoiding disappointment was the reason behind all the effort. I figured that since the others were not “strong” enough to complete the work, I would push us over the top with “my might.” We did not get the account. Wait, I worked hard! Why didn’t we get the account?
- GOD said to me “Not by your might.”
- GOD said to me “Not by your power.”
- GOD said to me “Only by MY SPIRIT.”
Success is defined by GOD alone. HE is the one who deems what will be successful and what will fail miserably. GOD places perfect barriers on my path that I cannot go over, under around or through. HE stops me dead in my tracks until I acknowledge I need HIM and HIM alone.
I have to take my faulty thinking that the source of success is from me and turn it towards the truth, namely GOD. HE is the way the truth and the life!
- Are you depending on yourself for your success?
- Do you think you can get yourself out of your mess?
- Will you stop trying to depend on yourself and place your trust in GOD who will guide you?
In memory of Daryl Matthews