Matthew 12 9 Going on from that place, he went into their synagogue, 10 and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Looking for a reason to bring charges against Jesus, they asked him, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”
11 He said to them, “If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? 12 How much more valuable is a person than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”
13 Then he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” So he stretched it out and it was completely restored, just as sound as the other. 14 But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus.
Getting up and going to church was a real struggle for me. I mean after hanging out in the clubs with my “friends” I felt I owed it to myself to get some sleep. When I started going to church, it felt weird at first but soon became a habit. Soon I was a regular attendee and decided to tell “those sinners” they should do the same.
- I used to think church was the destination for sinners.
- I used to think church was a place to go that I could check off my list each week.
- I used to think church was the goal and getting “cleaned up” was the prize.
Taking my disgusting habits to a place where I could dump them off seemed like the right thing to do. Follow a few rules, sing a few songs, listen to someone tell me how wrong I was felt like the right thing to do to get my life on track. BUT GOD wanted so much more than that.
- GOD wants me to see HIM as the destination beyond church.
- GOD wants me to worship HIM daily not just minutes on a given day.
- GOD wants me to “be” with HIM rather than going to HIM.
Don’t get me wrong, going to a church that serves people through GODLY words and habits is great. BUT GOD wants more. HE wants me to open my eyes to HIS kingdom around me to tell people about the Good News. Church should not be a habit rather GOD should be a “relationship” that drives me to go to church and beyond.
- Are you judging someone because you attend church regularly?
- Do you feel you have made it because you go to church?
- Can you stop thinking more highly of yourself and seek those who need GOD today?