Matthew 10: 40 “Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41 Whoever welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and whoever welcomes a righteous person as a righteous person will receive a righteous person’s reward. 42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”
Listening for the misplaced word or being skeptical was my skill when I attended church. I did not need to know the Bible because I could smell a phony a mile away. “That person is going to talk about money” and many times I was correct. “This place is a sham” I thought to myself.
- I have criticized preachers, teachers and disciples of GOD.
- I have attended church with cynicism.
- I have passed up the homeless thinking “They are just going to use the cash for alcohol or drugs.”
Protecting myself from the dangers of “sneaky people” took me to a place where I could not let my guards down. I was so focused on defending myself that I could not hear what GOD was saying through many people. BUT GOD wanted my heart to change.
- GOD wanted me to open my hurt heart to listen to HIS message through other hurt people.
- GOD wanted me to accept my role of serving others without judging their motive.
- GOD wanted me to give what I have, even if it is only a cup of water in service to HIM.
My heart of stone had to change. It had become cynical, mistrusting and certainly unbelieving. I could not see GOD’s miracles on a daily basis and I wondered where HE was. GOD opened up my heart to trust HIM versus trusting people. HE wants me to listen for HIM instead of listening for mistakes.
Even people with hidden agendas can speak a truth about GOD, so HE wants me to listen intently for HIS words. GOD wants me to welcome HIM by welcoming HIS people HE sends me.
- Are you being critical?
- Do you listen with hurt untrusting ears?
- Are you skeptical of those around you?
- Can you give your hurt to GOD and allow HIM to open your heart to welcome people in instead of pushing them out?