Matthew 21: 38 “But when the tenants saw the son, they said to each other, ‘This is the heir. Come, let’s kill him and take his inheritance.’ 39 So they took him and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him.
40 “Therefore, when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?”
41 “He will bring those wretches to a wretched end,” they replied, “and he will rent the vineyard to other tenants, who will give him his share of the crop at harvest time.”
“Will you serve this particular Sunday?” was the question. “Yes” was my answer, because it was easy and I had nothing planned. “Will you teach?’ was the question. “Yes” was my answer, because it wouldn’t take up too much time. “Will you go with us on a mission’s trip?” was the question posed to me. Many reasons came to mind as far as why I could not go, all of which were excuses.
- There are times when I think someone else should do “that.”
- There are times when I am called and I hang up the phone.
- There are times when I want life easy.
Wanting an easy life is not exactly the problem in this parable, but it is related. The tenants, Israel, rejected JESUS as the Messiah. They killed HIM thinking they would inherit HIS kingdom, namely heaven. Unfortunately they would never believe and would meet a wretched end.
Same goes for me. GOD wants me to do something. I don’t mean HE wants me to work my fingers to the bone trying to gain salvation. What I mean is HE wants me to do “something.” “If not me then who?” is the question. GOD wants me to serve someone at some point in time. HE may even call me to do something extreme for HIM and I should be ready.
- GOD wants me to serve others even when it is inconvenient.
- GOD wants me to pray for others even when I don’t like them.
- GOD wants me to speak well of others so HE can speak well of me.
The story ends with the tenants being replaced by others who are willing, by those without excuses. Unfortunately I have passed up my opportunities to serve others many times. BUT GOD has other opportunities ahead. I should be ready with “Yes.”
- Are you being called?
- Do you think someone else should do “that?”
- Can you listen to GOD’s calling and respond?