Monday, October 2, 2017

Rich and Saved

Matthew 27: 57 As evening approached, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who had himself become a disciple of Jesus. 58 Going to Pilate, he asked for Jesus’ body, and Pilate ordered that it be given to him. 59 Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, 60 and placed it in his own new tomb that he had cut out of the rock. He rolled a big stone in front of the entrance to the tomb and went away. 61 Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were sitting there opposite the tomb.

============


Reading the news, I discovered a movie star who’s cell phone bill was more than my salary and pretty close to half the value of my first house! Enraged, I looked at GOD’s words “It is harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven than a camel to go through an eye of a needle.” I found solace in the fact that “all” rich people were going to hell. I mean what about “my” bills!

  • There were times I was jealous of the rich and powerful.
  • There were times that I wanted what the rich had in order to show them how “I” would do what they do better.
  • There were times that I judged those in fancy cars, big homes and fame.


I figured when JESUS said it is hard for rich people to go to heaven, it meant they were arrogant, boastful and all around thieves of the poor. As I read this passage I pondered the rich. Joseph stood out.

He was rich, powerful and well respected amongst the higher ups. HE was able to approach Pilate himself with a rare request for JESUS’s body that was granted immediately. It struck me that JESUS has rich, not so rich and poor followers.

  • JESUS wants me to serve everyone, no matter their status.
  • JESUS wants me to look at everyone the same and serve them.
  • JESUS wants me to stop judging the rich and perhaps I can reach them.


One reason that dawned on me of why I thought rich people were destined for hell was my judgement towards them. “Why should I help them?” came to mind. In fact, in my judging state, I was quite alright with seeing people go to hell if I felt they squandered their life on being snooty!

GOD wants me to act different. No matter how rich a person is, they still need a savior. HE wants me to pray for the rich, not so rich and the poor to have salvation in CHRIST.  HE wants me to drop my judgement and start serving.

  • Do you judge the rich?
  • Do you think all rich people are going to hell?
  • Can you drop your judgment of the rich and powerful and ask GOD to be sent to anyone HE pleases?


No comments:

Post a Comment