Friday, October 1, 2010

Compassion takes practice.

Galatians 2: 8For God, who was at work in the ministry of Peter as an apostle to the Jews, was also at work in my ministry as an apostle to the Gentiles. 9James, Peter and John, those reputed to be pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship when they recognized the grace given to me. They agreed that we should go to the Gentiles, and they to the Jews. 10All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.

======================

Parasailing, climbing waterfalls were only a couple of the things we had done on this vacation. What great food we had eaten and sites we had seen. When we arrived at the home port we were met with the devastation the hurricane caused. Homes were destroyed and businesses were torn up. “Wow!” I thought to myself. “I wonder if our flight is still going to be on time.”

  • Having compassion for people takes practice.
  • Remembering the poor keeps me focused on what GOD wants me to do.
  • Giving to others, no matter what the amount, shows GOD I am yielding my life to HIM.

Sometimes I forget why GOD put me on this planet. HE wants me to remember those who have needs. HE blesses me with wealth and I am supposed to share the wealth with others. What’s funny is HE never asks me to give it all, just a portion.

  • I have to be eager to help the poor even when I don’t have much to give.
  • If I can give to others when I don’t have much, HE will help me give more when I have plenty.
  • My focus should always be on serving people, especially those in need.

Paul and Barnabas were recognized as preachers to the Gentiles. They could have been told to preach about sexual purity or making sure the Gentiles knew the Bible well. Instead the compassionate side came from the Apostles as they were charged to “remember the poor.”

Remembering the poor isn’t always easy. I remember nights where my stomach grumbled out of hunger as I went to sleep, dreaming my paycheck would arrive sooner. How in the world was I going to give? GOD said to me “you would be surprised.” HE was right.

I know I’m in danger of sounding like a prosperity preacher, but when I changed my mind on serving others is when GOD blessed me with plenty.

  • Do you think you have nothing to give because your bank account is low and bills are high?
  • Can you be creative in what you give someone?
  • If you do have plenty, are you remembering the poor?
  • Will this lesson of extended poverty help you remember the poor when times are better?

No comments:

Post a Comment