Thursday, September 29, 2011

I can’t see you my assumptions are in the way!

John 1: 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

============

“I’m late and this guy isn’t here” I thought to myself. I waited in the hotel lobby and there were only a few people. “I’m sure a man of his wealth would be on time because he has to be a busy person” I surmised.  

A guy dressed like a wrinkled farmer caught my eye and said my name. “Are you looking for me?” he politely said in a calm tone. “I watched you for ten minutes but I wasn’t sure you were looking for me” he said.  “This is the guy who makes $2 Million a month; you’ve got to be kidding?” I thought.
  • How many angels who were dressed as a person in need have I passed?
  • How many people who I assumed didn’t “deserve” my help have I turned down?
  • How many names have I conjured up for those who annoy me or have gotten in my way?

Assumptions are little packaged expectations wrapped in prejudiced and ignorance. GOD operates with “fact” and I never have to assume anything about HIM.
  • JESUS came to Earth as a human to HIS chosen people who rejected HIM.
  • JESUS, who is GOD, volunteered to die for the sins of all humans no matter how heinous the sin.
  • JESUS knocked on the door of my heart and it was up to me to let HIM in
Sometimes I expect GOD to speak to me in a loud echoing voice and appear with some sort of blinding light. I think HE is going to give me some strange, yet specific, message to drop everything and go on some wild pilgrimage. I keep waiting but all these needy people keep interrupting!
  • GOD wants me to help the needy, that’s how HE is speaking to me.
  • GOD wants me to deliver HIS message of deliverance, that’s how HE shows HIS love.
  • GOD wants me to keep my heart soft for others so HE puts me in circumstances that enable me to empathize.
When I assume how GOD is going to work, I am usually wrong. I look for HIM in the wrong places and I definitely mistake how HE is going to guide someone’s life. But when I don’t assume and accept HIS plan, HE never disappoints me!
  • Are you trying to manipulate GOD into getting your way?
  • Do you assume that since you are following HIM things would be better?
  • Are you willing to follow GOD even if it means “that” person would leave you?

No comments:

Post a Comment