Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Kill “the unknown” monster!

Luke 22: 41 He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

============

My first camping trip, going away to college, moving into my apartment in another city and moving to another region of the country all have the same thing in common. I faced “the unknown.” “The unknown” is a scary thing that can easily be exploited by the enemy.

Questions rapidly pop into my mind when I faced “the unknown.” “How will you make it?” “You’ve never faced this before, what if you fail?” “You may lose everything then you will be on the street, what then?” “What if you get sick?” “What if you DIE!?”

  • “The unknown” is a scary thing for me that does nothing but drives fear which is not from GOD.
  • “The unknown” leads me to some wild fantasy of my demise rather than focusing on GOD.
  • “The unknown” tempts me to dream up a plan that doesn’t include GOD.
I can’t tell you the wild thoughts I have had over the years. I thought everyone was against me when my high paying job was eliminated. I thought I was going to be eating flies when I went on my first mission’s trip. I thought my life would come to an end when the dean of my college approached me and said you are no longer in college. (I did graduate!)

  • GOD has a way of putting a situation in front of me that causes me to depend on HIM.
  • GOD has a way of allowing me to go through the trouble to make me stronger.
  • GOD has a way of getting my attention to really, really communicate with HIM in earnest prayer.
You mean even JESUS who is GOD the SON asked GOD the FATHER to not die for the sins of the world? Yes, but obedience trumps discouragement. The FATHER had to send an angel to strengthen JESUS because this voluntary act would mean JESUS would be blamed for every sin ever committed.  Someone had to take the fall for my sins.

JESUS said one important thing namely “not my will but YOURS be done.” When I give up my will, I can’t fail. In fact when I ask GOD to take control of my plan I give HIM the right to smash it to the ground or to take it to heights I never would have dreamed. Giving up my will kills “the unknown” monster.
  • Are you facing a very difficult time?
  • Do you have fear of the unknown?
  • Can you realize GOD is in control of the unknown?
  • Will you let go of your plans and say “not my plans but YOURS?”

No comments:

Post a Comment