Monday, December 12, 2011

True Power

John 19: 1 Then Pilate took Jesus and had him flogged. 2 The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head. They clothed him in a purple robe 3 and went up to him again and again, saying, “Hail, king of the Jews!” And they slapped him in the face.

-------

10 “Do you refuse to speak to me?” Pilate said. “Don’t you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?”

 11 Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.”

============

The quest for a title was a journey of mine for years. I thought about the press release that showed me becoming the top of the heap. I wasn’t looking to be bossy or controlling because I was too busy looking for accolades. I wonder how many people would complement me for becoming this great title.
  • When I seek power the wrong way I look for people to bow down to me.
  • When I seek power the wrong way I win and someone else loses.
  • When I seek power the wrong way I dream of a false utopia that doesn’t include GOD.

In my quest for “freedom” to do my thing, I try my best to unchain myself from GOD while consulting with HIM whenever the going gets tough. I want my way, I want my fame and I want to fulfill my lusts and I don’t want GOD telling me about HIS rules! I want power.

  • GOD is the only one who has power.
  • GOD is the only one I should connect with for power because I am powerless.
  • GOD is the only one who I should fear because no human has power.

JESUS showed great restraint and compassion all the way to HIS execution. People say true power is having the ability to crush someone and the restraint not to. The creator showed absolute self-control and wants me to do the same.

HE doesn’t want me to take my salvation lightly by sinning when I want to, nor does HE want me to be judgmental of others in a controlling way. My view of obtaining power should be pleasing GOD and following HIS ways. Maturity in CHRIST brings “true power!”

  • Are you seeking “control” of your life?
  • Are your ambitions or lustful desires ahead of what GOD wants from you?
  • Can you be corrected to follow GOD or are they just being judgmental?
  • Will you stop following “your direction” and follow GOD’s ways?

No comments:

Post a Comment