Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Do GOD’s words cut you?

Acts 2: 36 “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.”

 37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

 38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

============

“Church is useless” I exclaimed as I stormed out of yet another place I had condemned in my mind. I mean it seems like these places are full of hypocrites. “The preachers are only after women and money, the women are only there to marry somebody and the guys only want titles! I’m out of here!” I exclaimed to myself.

“I’m not going to church anymore.” I guess I had dreamt up some great excuses for not going to church, or did I?

  • I am mistaken when I think church is a “place to go” rather than a group of broken people.
  • I am mistaken when I think church is a “thing to do” rather than a service to GOD.
  • I am mistaken when I think church is a “time slot to serve me” rather than a gathering of servants with prepared hearts to worship GOD.

It’s easy to say something is wrong with “this” church or “that” church but it’s harder to say there is something wrong with me. I sought after places I could feel comfortable hiding my sins while looking polished and professional on the outside. GOD wanted me in a different “place.”

  • GOD wants me to worship HIM by admitting my sins to HIM “and” HIS people.
  • GOD wants me to seek opportunities to serve HIS people rather than always looking to be served.
  • GOD wants me to voluntarily open myself up to be vulnerable as an act of trusting HIM rather than guarding my life and protecting my security.

Getting “cut to the heart” actually hurts. GOD’s messages sink deep into my soul and I am moved to serve HIS people the way HE wants me to serve them.  HE wants me to have compassion for those who hate me, restraint from those who tempt me, empathy for those in need and love for those who sin like me.

HIS message of kindness, patience, persistence and peace resonate in my heart and I feel excited to be around GOD’s humans, seeking those whom I can serve. I’m still selfish, BUT GOD has at least opened my eyes to realize I am gathering with other selfish people to serve HIM.

  • Are you looking at what “church” can do for you or how you can serve GOD?
  • Do you look at the gathering of people at “work” as opportunity to be in “church?”
  • Can you realize the gathering of two people in agreement with the ways of CHRIST “is” a gathering of the “church?”

No comments:

Post a Comment