Thursday, September 27, 2012

How should I pray?

1 Timothy 2:1I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior,
who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

============

Puny was over exaggerating my size growing up. I had to gain weight just to be called puny. When the bullies would surface I had my escape plan handy. To this day I still abhor bully-ish behavior. When I see people trying to flex their control I get my boxing gloves out and dig in for a fight. This person needs to be taught a lesson.

  • Fighting other people does not draw them to CHRIST.
  • When I dig in to “teach someone a lesson” I may be pushing them away from CHRIST.
  • Entrenching my position does not yield an atmosphere where GOD can work through me.

GOD wants me to ask HIM to do something “for” the person not “about” the person. This requires that I get to know them and actually want something better “for” them. HE wants me to discuss them and talk about them in a way that HE would say something about them.

When they don’t act like they should HE wants me to step up and speak on their behalf to HIM. Most of all HE wants me to be thankful for the person because a thankful attitude yields a better relationship.

  • GOD wants me to have peace so I’m the one who starts it.
  • GOD wants me to have a quiet life so I have to douse my rage with forgiveness.
  • GOD wants me to have a godly life so I must intercede for those who may not have my best interest in mind.
  • GOD wants me to be holy and since I am a sinner my holiness only comes by understanding I am an enemy of GOD unless I believe in HIS SON as my mediator.

It’s easy to pray for friends and family who treat me right. It’s a little harder to desire the “best” for those who treat me like dirt. GOD wants my intercession as an act of worship to HIM.

  • Is there someone in your life who has done you wrong?
  • Can you stop looking for them to ne changed and start praying for GOD to treat them with peace?
  • Will you act as a mediator for the person, asking GOD to treat them well so they can be saved?
  • Do you know that maybe someone needs to intercede for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment