Thursday, January 30, 2014

Reputations precedes me

Ruth 2: 10 At this, she bowed down with her face to the ground. She asked him, “Why have I found such favor in your eyes that you notice me—a foreigner?”

11 Boaz replied, “I’ve been told all about what you have done for your mother-in-law since the death of your husband—how you left your father and mother and your homeland and came to live with a people you did not know before. 12 May the Lord repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge.”

===========

Popularity felt great at the time.  My foul mouth and quick wit earned me a spot in the “in” crowd, or so I thought. For some reason one of the populars decided to come up with a “most notable” declaration that wasn’t a contest.  The populars got together and decided who had what designation. 

They gave me “Campus Clown.” Several people told me to lay low and let the moment pass. Great advice!

  • My reputation isn’t always as important to me when I want something.
  • My reputation isn’t always a consideration to me when I want something.
  • My reputation isn’t always top of mind when I want something.


I wanted popularity and I got it “the wrong way.” Maybe I didn’t want what I was getting after all. Maybe the thing I was shooting for was plagued with pitfalls and problems. Which reputation should I try for?

  • GOD wants me to model HIS behavior as much as possible so people can see an example.
  • GOD wants me to put away childish ways and grow in HIS grace and love.
  • GOD wants me to increase compassion and decrease fear as my primary reputation.


GOD doesn’t want me doing things to be known, rather HE wants me to do things because of HIM. My reputation should point to HIM. If it points to me then I will have my reward here on earth.

I only have a short time to live on Earth and GOD has made it clear that I shouldn’t waste it on pettiness. HIS greatness comes through faith, compassion and love.  These are the areas I should desire more of so my reputation can point to HIM.

  • Are you busy protecting your reputation to get more money?
  • Are you trying hard to be polished so you can climb the ladder?
  • Have you put any effort into focusing on what GOD wants for you?
  • Is your reputation marred or is your life pointing to GOD?


No comments:

Post a Comment