Monday, June 23, 2014

Thermometer or Thermostat?


2 Kings 18:Hezekiah trusted in the Lord, the God of Israel. There was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, either before him or after him. He held fast to the Lord and did not stop following him; he kept the commands the Lord had given Moses. And the Lord was with him; he was successful in whatever he undertook. He rebelled against the king of Assyria and did not serve him.

============

Sitting in a crowd of old “friends” I felt a little awkward. I had given up a lot of the things everyone was doing and people urged me to join in. It won’t hurt, I thought to myself. Soon I found I was acting one way around people at church and another around people I would “hang” with.

  • When I am double minded I flow with whatever crowd I’m with.
  • When I am double minded my opinions change in fear of not being liked by the crowd.
  • When I am double minded I may flip flop and not support any direction.


Double minded behavior feels great “in the moment” because I am comforted by the crowd, but I end up lacking because any opposing opinion of mine gets discounted. What should I do about flipping with the crowd?

  • GOD wants me to hold fast to HIS ways which in many instances are against the crowd.
  • GOD wants me to keep following HIM even when the path seems to disappear.
  • GOD wants me to keep HIS commands even when I stumble and fall.


Fear of the crowd makes me change like a thermometer. When the crowd is one way, so am I. BUT GOD wants me to be like a thermostat. HE wants me to walk into a crowd and set the temperature rather than being affected by what’s going on around me. Thermostats can be changed by the owner to be set at the temperature HE needs it to be. Thermostats live a life of purpose.

  • Do you change your words with the crowd?
  • Do you feel you have to “fit in” so you are willing to compromise your relationship with GOD?
  • Can you give more and more of your life over to GOD daily?
  • Won’t you let GOD be the owner of your life which gives you purpose?


No comments:

Post a Comment