Friday, October 31, 2014

Fasting Prayer Belief

Ezra 8: 21 There, by the Ahava Canal, I proclaimed a fast, so that we might humble ourselves before our God and ask him for a safe journey for us and our children, with all our possessions. 22 I was ashamed to ask the king for soldiers and horsemen to protect us from enemies on the road, because we had told the king, “The gracious hand of our God is on everyone who looks to him, but his great anger is against all who forsake him.” 23 So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer.

============

Upon reading this I could not think of an example because the message was too powerful. There were too many elements that caught my eye.

Ezra declared a fast to humble the group.
            What I hear is I need to fast every now and then to see just how much I need GOD.

Ezra asked GOD for a safe journey, not only for himself but everyone who traveled with him.
            What I hear is I need to ask GOD for HIS protection of all those HE sends to me.

Ezra was ashamed to ask the king to protect them because of their belief in GOD’s deliverance.
            What I hear is belief takes faith and the acceptance of trouble or protection from GOD.

Ezra did what he said by fasting and praying and GOD answered their prayer.
            What I hear is believe and move forward because GOD is listening.

This is an amazing piece of history because GOD delivered a weak broken band of people, who were carrying valuable items, from thieves and enemies who could care less about them.  I imagine they didn’t sleep very well during this three day journey. I imagine they felt frightened yet driven to complete the task at hand.

Depending on GOD every step of the way must have felt pretty scary BUT GOD was faithful and protected them, not because they were sinless, but because HE is GOD.

  • Are you about to go through a trial?
  • Do you feel you are holding fast to your beliefs?
  • Have you taken time to humble yourself by fasting and praying?
  • Will you take the time to ask GOD for HIS protection of you, the people around you and your stuff?


No comments:

Post a Comment