Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Deserving Deliverance

Psalm 79:Help us, God our Savior,
    for the glory of your name;
deliver us and forgive our sins
    for your name’s sake.

============

Sitting in my final, I asked GOD to help me recall some of the information I crammed into my head the night before. I didn’t understand the concepts and the professor told me a week before that unless I wrote an outstanding final, I would fail. After my prayer I took the final and got a C on the test and a failing grade overall.

Praying that GOD undo damage I have caused is rather futile, especially if it’s for my personal gain. I expected that GOD clean up the damage while I skip merrily through the situation. It did not happen. GOD allowed me to face the consequences of my decision and quite honestly it was the best thing that happened to me. My study habits got infinitely better afterwards.

  • GOD delivers me not because of me, but in spite of me.
  • GOD delivers me in the middle of my sins, not after I clean myself up.
  • GOD delivers me because of HIS name and HIS sake, not because I demand it or deserve it.


When I look at my life I see points where GOD intervened in the middle of my sins. HE showed tremendous restraint and did not pour out wrath rather HE dished out a heaping helping of HIS grace. I can also see times where HE allowed the consequences of my sins to hit me in the face.

This prayer is appropriate. Israel was in captivity for turning away from GOD for the thousandth time. The writer knew there was nothing that could be said to deserve deliverance. All they could write was “Forgive our sins for YOUR name’s sake.” GOD’s name is pure and so is HIS love for me. I praise HIM because I do not deserve the blessings HE has bestowed on me.

  • Do you feel you deserve deliverance?
  • Are you busy telling GOD how good you have been?
  • Can you stop trying to steer GOD and praise HIM?
  • Will you ask HIM to deliver you on HIS terms?


No comments:

Post a Comment