Thursday, June 25, 2015

Tools for Faith

Psalm 86: 11 Teach me your way, Lord,
    that I may rely on your faithfulness;
give me an undivided heart,
    that I may fear your name.
12 I will praise you, Lord my God, with all my heart;
    I will glorify your name forever.
13 For great is your love toward me;
    you have delivered me from the depths,
    from the realm of the dead.

============

“Pray” someone said. “Go to church” another person said. “Repent” was another piece of advice. “Give” was yet another answer to the troubles I was going through. All of the prescriptions came from avid church goers who seem to mean well. I have even used these terms thinking I could somehow change GOD’s mind or that HIS mind needed to be changed.

  • There are times when I prescribe answers thinking it’s the right thing to say
  • There are times when I prescribe answers thinking the person isn’t executing their faith well enough.
  • There are times when I prescribe answers thinking “this” is what “I” want for the person.


Looking back I don’t think I have ever said, “Hold on, let me check with GOD and I’ll get back to you” when someone brings me a problem. I may jump right in and prescribe “take two prayers and a song and call me in the morning.” BUT GOD wants me to do something different.

  • GOD wants me to ask HIM to teach me HIS ways so I can rely on HIS faithfulness.
  • GOD wants me to focus on HIS faith rather than thinking I or the person I am helping has any sort of faith.
  • GOD wants me to ask HIM to give me an undivided heart to fear HIM constantly so I can follow HIM without inhibitions.


There are simply some situations where I cannot use a prescription. The tools for faith come from the builder alone. GOD understands what it takes to build my faith and I have to ask HIM to take me through things in order to understand how to rely on HIS faithfulness. HE wants me to have an undivided heart and only HE can heal my heart to do so. I will rely on HIS faithfulness, fear HIS name, praise HIM with all my heart and glorify HIS name forever.

GOD’s love is great towards me and HE has already delivered me from the depths and realm of the dead.

  • Are you trying to gain faith on your own?
  • Do you think you have any tools to grow your faith?
  • Can you stop trying to change GOD and allow HIM to change your heart?
  • Will you seek GOD, asking HIM to teach you HIS way so your eyes can be opened to HIS faithfulness?


No comments:

Post a Comment