Monday, June 8, 2015

Understanding Jealousy


Psalm 73: 21 When my heart was grieved
    and my spirit embittered,
22 I was senseless and ignorant;
    I was a brute beast before you.
23 Yet I am always with you;
    you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
    and afterward you will take me into glory.


============

This weekend I was reminded of the many junk cars I drove. It seemed like I was on the side of the road more than moving forward. Once as my car showed the usual signs of failure I pulled over, got out and watched all of the people in fancy cars whiz by. This time I was a bit bitter as I looked at the face of a driver of an expensive car and watched him turn his head as he drove past. “Why do they seem to have no problems and all I have is problems?” I thought jealously.

  • Jealousy enters my heart when I compare myself to others.
  • Jealousy enters my heart when I am not satisfied or content.
  • Jealousy enters my heart when I look at others, wanting what they have.


The real question I’m asking is “Why am I not the wealthy person driving past the poor sole on the side of the road?” I mean would I stop? Would I help if I were rich? No! How do I know… because I have been there too. Being rich brings on challenges that cause me to ignore the poor and protect my wealth at all costs. BUT GOD has shown me something different.

  • GOD says to me “Do not love money because it will generate all kinds of evil you do not even know.”
  • GOD says to me “Hearts are deceptive and wicked, only I can know it.”
  • GOD says to me “Seek MY kingdom first”
  • GOD says to me “I will guide you with MY counsel.”


Instead of seeking what someone else has, I should quiet down and ask, “What do you want me to do right now?” GOD has me here for a wonderful reason, one that I cannot ignore. HE opens my eyes to HIM when jealousy tries to blind me. HE shows me that being connected to HIM and going through a difficult situation is far better than being without HIM and thinking my wealth will save me.

GOD does not like when I am arrogantly wealthy nor does HE like a pouting jealous poor rant from me. HE does however appreciate when I acknowledge HIS supremacy, HIS love and HIS mercy for me.

  • Are you jealous of something or someone?
  • Do you envy certain groups of people and wish for their demise?
  • Can you stop wasting your time looking at others and look to GOD who has called you into this situation?
  • Will you truly praise GOD for where HE has you and get started on the mission HE has for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment