Psalm 118: 15 Shouts of joy and victory
Lord’s right hand has done mighty things!
The Lord’s right hand is lifted high;
I will not die but live,
The Lord has chastened me severely,
Open for me the gates of the righteous;
Driving to my apartment I realized I was on my own. No more parents to answer to, no more professors to get graded by. I was free to do what I wanted, when I wanted, how I wanted. I can join the crowd and fit in! When I did, it seemed like stuff would happen to me and no one else. I mean when I would do what everyone else was doing, something “bad” would happen to me and it seemed like everyone else would get away with whatever they were doing!
- My sins have consequences on earth.
- My sins have consequences that harm me.
- My sins have consequences that spring up in “crops” of seeds I’ve sown.
The old saying “what goes around comes around” is based on a Psalm that says “Whoever digs a hole and scoops it out falls into the pit they have made. The trouble they cause recoils on them…” In other words, it seems like I can’t do what other people can “get away with.” GOD has a different standard for me.
- GOD holds me to a higher standard because I am HIS child.
- GOD treats me different because I am supposed to represent HIS holiness.
- GOD chastens me to a point, not because HE hates me, but because HE loves me and wants me to stay on HIS path.
GOD’s whooping is not a fun whooping and doesn’t always seem one for one. I mean sometimes the sin may be “small” but GOD sees something bigger in me and will not stand for it. Yes HE has grace, but HE also has wrath. HE demands my attention and desires that I follow HIM, HIS way. This is not arrogant since HE did so much for me.
The great thing about GOD is, HIS wrath for me is never eternal. HE pulls back and picks me up and says, “I love you.” HE opens the gate foe me to HIS house and I will praise HIM!
- Are you being chastened by GOD?
- Does it seem pretty harsh?
- Can you understand that GOD loves you and will not destroy you, but make you stronger?