Daniel 5: 16 Now I have heard that you are able to give interpretations and to solve difficult problems. If you can read this writing and tell me what it means, you will be clothed in purple and have a gold chain placed around your neck, and you will be made the third highest ruler in the kingdom.”
17 Then Daniel answered the king, “You may keep your gifts for yourself and give your rewards to someone else. Nevertheless, I will read the writing for the king and tell him what it means.
22 “But you, Belshazzar, his son, have not humbled yourself, though you knew all this. 23 Instead, you have set yourself up against the Lord of heaven. You had the goblets from his temple brought to you, and you and your nobles, your wives and your concubines drank wine from them. You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways.
One day I got a notification from the worst boss I ever worked for. Mean, belligerent and condescending was his style. He was reaching out to me because he had moved on to a new position and wanted to bring aboard a team of his own. I was unemployed at the time and money was running quite low. “I wonder if I should work for this guy” I thought to myself.
- Sometimes I would do some crazy things for money.
- Sometimes I would lose myself in order to get some money.
- Sometimes I would become something that I did not like in order to gain a little money.
Life’s hardships can bring on challenges that make me think twice about following someone who has no integrity. I mean maybe I can put up with pretending to be something I am not for a little while, you know, until I “get on my feet”, right? Wrong! GOD says something different.
- GOD says “I want you to follow ME not money.”
- GOD says “I want you to be single minded not double-minded.”
- GOD says “I want your entire heart and there is no room for money and ME.”
The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. Belshazzar was not only celebrating money, he figured he could use it to solve his problems with the Living GOD. BUT GOD wasn’t having it. HE took Belshazzar’s life that night.
GOD wants me to see this example and chose to follow HIM. Just like Daniel turned down the bribe, GOD wants me to say “No” when it comes to dirty money. No matter how difficult things may look, GOD is there to guide me.
- Are you constantly thinking of money?
- Would you do anything for money right now, even lose your own personality?
- Can you stop following money and start following GOD today?