Matthew 15: 21 Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.”
23 Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.”
24 He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”
25 The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said.
26 He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”
27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”
28 Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.
Fear of another race came quite naturally for me. My neighborhood was full of people who looked like me and acted like me. Then high school came. I travelled out of my neighborhood to attend a school where the students were multi ethnic. All of my assumptions about “those” people were challenged.
- Fear of others who did not look like me was a barrier.
- Assumptions of others who did not look like me was a barrier.
- Wanting others to act like me was a barrier.
If I wanted “friends” I needed to change my thinking, quickly! How?
- GOD said to me “I came to save those who are lost.”
- GOD said to me “I came for all mankind.”
- GOD said to me “I came to show you how to love the world.”
JESUS could read the racial and gender barrier easily. HE could see into the hearts of those around the Canaanite woman and leveraged the situation to break down barriers with HIS words and actions. HE wants me to do the same. HE wants me to humbly serve those who do not look or act like me and serve those who do.
GOD wants me to take down barriers to HIM to enable many to follow HIS ways.
- Are you racially blind?
- Do you feel inferior or superior to another gender?
- Can you remove barriers to people coming to CHRIST today?