Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Okay Do That

Matthew 25: 37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

============

“What will I say?”, “What shall I do?” were the questions that ran through my mind as I went out on my first mission’s trip. After riding for a long time I calmed down but when I got off the bus I felt a bit overwhelmed.  I mean there were people there who only possessed the clothes on their backs. I didn’t know what to do.

  • Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the problems of the world.
  • Sometimes I want someone else to handle the problem of poverty and loneliness.
  • Sometimes I don’t want to know that someone else is hurting because I need a vacation.


Thinking about someone else who had more problems than me was the first hurdle. I mean I had enough problems to have a missionary sent to me. Besides, what was I supposed to “do” when I encountered this person? I was not a billionaire so I couldn’t house and feed everyone. “Maybe the rich should do this!” I thought brazenly to myself!

  • JESUS says to me “Whatever you do for the least of these, you do for ME.”
  • JESUS says to me “It does not matter what you do as long as you are serving those in need.”
  • JESUS says to me “Start somewhere because anything you do for those in need, you do it for ME.”


I only had handshakes, hugs and prayers to give to the people. I sat with several and listened to them and prayed with them. We laughed a while and I encouraged a few. When I went back two years later I ran into one person who remembered me but I did not remember him.

“You encouraged me!” he said. “Now I am a pastor reaching out to others. I was excited and overwhelmed again as the words popped into my head “The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few.”

  • Are you too overwhelmed with your own problems to help someone?
  • Do you feel like you have nothing to offer someone because you too are broke, hurt and lonely?
  • Can you ask GOD to be sent to the right person so you can encourage them today?


No comments:

Post a Comment