Friday, August 18, 2017

Gifts and Talents

Matthew 25: 14 “Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. 15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16 The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more. 17 So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more. 18 But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

============

“Wow, you are talented” someone said to me for the first time. I was used to being ostracized and laughed at. “How do you do that?” they asked. “I don’t know… I just do it. I replied. It felt good to be noticed for something good for a change.

  • Every once in a while I have been recognized for a talent.
  • Every once in a while I have been recognized for what I could do.
  • Every once in a while I have been given an award or a pat on the back for “my” accomplishments.


After a while I craved positive validation from the crowd and I got it. Soon “I” was the one who could solve any and every problem. I wasn’t thankful for “my” talents.

  • GOD wants me to be thankful for the talents HE gave me.
  • GOD wants me to use the abilities HE gave me to grow HIS kingdom.
  • GOD wants me to recognize that nothing I do comes from “me” rather it was HE who created me.


JESUS starts off the story with an analogy of money as a gift HE gives to people according to their ability. HE gave me my gifts and talents according to what I could handle. I do not need to be jealous of others.

  • Are you jealous over someone’s talents?
  • Do you think your abilities come from you or GOD?
  • Can you acknowledge that GOD has given you gifts and wants you to use them for HIS kingdom?


No comments:

Post a Comment